Friday, March 13, 2015

Eyebrow Extensions Now Exist

Find out how they work, how long they last, and how they could completely change your look.
Eyelash extensions revolutionized the beauty world, eliminating the need to curl, volumize, and lengthen lashes. Now, eyebrow extensions promise to make similar waves: They mean you could kiss coloring in and applying brow gel goodbye. It sounds like a no brainer, right?

But what exactly are brow extensions? And could they ever look natural? We caught up with Charity Engebretsen, owner of Master Lash By Charity, who offers the exclusive service to her clients in Santa Monica, California. Here, the lowdown on this truly innovative process that is just picking up traction in the U.S.
WH: Why did you decide to bring eyebrow extensions to your salon?
Engebretsen: My mother is in the entertainment industry, and when she came back from Asia when she was on a tour there 11 years ago, she said "They’re doing these really amazing things over there. They’re called eyelash extensions." And I was like, "Of course, why not?" We have amazing hair extensions. Why not create a micro-version for the eyes? So if we can do these on the eyes, which are so sensitive in nature—they don’t like being poked or prodded—then we can definitely find a way to do these on the eyebrows. So I’ve been doing it for the past few years. I actually went to Japan for my training.

What are the benefits of the service?
It’s definitely a revolutionary thing because the eyebrows are so inherently important for the symmetry of your face. They are so youth-giving so that when people have issues like alopecia or they’re going through chemotherapy, it hurts their confidence. To be able to give it back to them is such a pleasure for me.

Throughout the years, you [also] start seeing a lot of hormonal imbalances, vitamin deficiencies, scars, and over-plucking. So women were really looking for a solution other than dealing with the daily hassle of trying to pencil in their brows or put powder in or waxing to hide them. So I started cutting up little pieces of hair and adhering them to try to fill in little textures.

When clients have perfect eyebrows and perfect lashes to frame their face, they don’t wear any eye makeup. They might wake up and put on a little powder, blush, and lipstick, and they’re done. Professional women and mothers love it because they don’t have a lot of time. While you are committing yourself to an hour every few weeks, you are saving time every morning. Time is just so valuable.

They also subtract years on your face. I’m 36-years-old, and I’m told I look much younger for my age. And I kid you not, it’s because of my eyebrow and eyelash extensions. I swear, I look 10 years younger because they give you a lift and a youth in the eye, which is where we start aging first.

Do they look as natural as eyelash extensions?
People are really impressed because you’d think that adhering little pieces of hair to your face wouldn’t look so natural. But nowadays I have every type of [human] hair available to me for every ethnicity, whether it’s Asian, Caucasian, Indian. I like to layer in little tiny pieces of hair, different curls and different diameters. It gives a really natural look to it, just like the hairs on your head have different curls and waves to them.

How exactly does the treatment work?
It’s a really relaxing process. You sit down on a comfy massage table, and I play soothing music. I start with shaping the brows first by plucking, waxing—whatever they need. Then I decide on the shape. Part of deciding on the shape is measuring out the eye and the arch and giving the symmetry back to the face with the brows. Then we decide on the colors. And then the actual placement of each hair is done one by one. They are dipped in a surgical adhesive (it’s normally used to close wounds in surgeries, so it’s very gentle), and the brow is built in a very specific manner. You have to do it in such a way that you build it up and that there’s movement in the hair. So that when the client wears it throughout the weeks and brushes it, it moves like real hair. It takes about an hour and a half. Let’s say I have one client. She doesn’t have one single eyebrow hair. In an hour and a half, I can perfect two full lush gorgeous brows from nothing. And best of all, there’s absolutely zero pain.

How long do the extensions last?
It really depends on how the client wears it. Most women are so ecstatic that they’re really gentle with it so it lasts a couple of weeks. It can last up to three weeks, but typically you want to come in for a fill every two weeks to keep it really fresh and clean. The good thing about the extensions is that even when they do shed, it's not obvious. Your brows just get thinner and thinner, back to where they originally were so no one would really comment on them.

Is that the only way to remove them?
I’ve done editorials where the brows are really bushy and over-the-top and there was a removal process. The client or the model would lie down, and I just apply an oil-based remover that's perfect for sensitive skin. It slides the adhesion right off in a matter of minutes. So if a client does decide they want to take them off, it's a very simple process. [However] it’s not something for home care yet.

Do your clients come back every two weeks for a touchup?
I would say half of my clients are getting the extensions every two weeks, and they are fanatic about it. I have clients who book their appointments two months in advance because I’m so busy. Then I have clients who can’t afford to do it on a regular basis like that or they just don't have time, so they do it for a special event—bridal, editorial, a photo shoot for work.

Do you find that people come to you specifically for eyebrow extensions?
Yes, definitely. I honestly don’t know another provider in Los Angeles—or California for that matter—who does eyebrow extensions. I don’t know very many women who do them at all. I’m working on a training manual now, and I have my own eyebrow product line that I’ve developed for my own use. I’ve gotten a lot of requests from women for training. I need to bring it to the market because I can’t do everyone!

Engebretsen's eyebrow extension service starts at $150. She also has a daily rate, travel rate, and event rate, To contact Charity for a consultation, visit Masterlashbycharity.com.

Watch this video to find out how to perfectly groom your brows at home:


No comments :

Post a Comment